Data Scientist / Engineer, Team Lead
Did you know that about 10% of all insurance payouts are flowing directly into the pockets of fraudsters? The future of insurance starts with Decisions Made Better.
Shift Technology harnesses the power of AI to enable the world’s leading insurance organizations to make better decisions. Our products automate and optimize decisions from underwriting to claims, resulting in increased operational efficiency, reduced costs, and superior customer experiences for millions of people around the globe.
Our culture is built on innovation, trust, and a drive to transform the insurance industry by imagining and innovating solutions that impact insurers and their customers - like you! We come from more than 50 different countries and cultures and together we are creating the future of insurance.
The Data Science team works on a broad range of subjects. We actively participate in the implementation and development of our suite of products on fraud detection, anti-money laundering, and claim automation. We have a breadth of technical and professional experience in data science, data engineering, programming, business understanding, and client interaction. Additionally, we work on various data types such as structured data, free text, documents, and images.
As a Data Science Team Lead at Shift Technology, you will play a pivotal role in leading a team of 3-5 skilled data scientists and actively contribute to the development of data-driven solutions that have a significant impact on the insurance industry. This position is ideal for a Data Scientist with 2-4 years in a technical team lead or mentor role who excels in both technical expertise and leadership capabilities.
Our company is small enough that each person’s achievements have an impact on overall performance, yet big enough to be a world leader in our domain.
What you will do
- You will lead and mentor a team of data scientists, providing technical guidance, support, and career development opportunities
- You will actively contribute to the development and improvements of our fraud detection models, and write and maintain code in C# and SQL.
- You will clean, preprocess, and analyze large datasets to find creative methods to detect large scale fraud rings, involving medical providers, identity thefts, fake claims, often worth several million dollars of fraudulent payments.
- You will manage the team's priorities and lead project planning, execution, and delivery, ensuring that projects are completed within deadlines and meet high-quality standards.
- You will oversee the implementation and deployment of our models into production, ensuring scalability, reliability, and performance.
- You will work closely with our clients to understand their business and organizational context, present results and discuss the performances of our models and ensure our products add value within their organizational priorities and constraints
- You will collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product Management, Project Management, Software Engineering, Customer Success Management, etc.), providing technical expertise and leadership to drive innovative solutions that meet our clients' needs.
- You will support our Sales and Value Engineering teams, and present demos of our products to prospects.
- This is a Hybrid role based in Boston, MA and the selected candidate will need to be able to work onsite at least once a week.
What you will bring
- Bachelor’s or advanced Degree in Data Science, Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years as an individual contributor in Data Science, Data Engineering, Data Analytics or Software Engineering field with a track record of delivering impactful data-driven solutions in a business context.
- Strong proficiency in programming, and, experience in coding with an object-oriented language (Java, C#, C++, etc.)
- Prior experience in a leadership or supervisory role, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and inspire a team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to translate complex findings into actionable insights
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to structure a complex problem in an ambiguous context with unknown factors.
- Nice to have:
- Prior experience with C#
- Prior experience in a SaaS company
- Prior experience in the Insurance/ InsurTech industry
- Prior experience as a Data Science Team Lead or Manager
- HR Interview
- Interview 1: Interview with a Data Science Manager
- Interview 2: Technical Interview with a Tech Lead
- Interview 3: Head of Data Science - US P&C + Office Meeting
- Reference call
The range listed is for base compensation. Your actual base salary will vary based on factors including location and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process.
In addition to base salary, your total rewards package will include additional components such as incentive pay, equity, and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the specific details for this position.
To support our employees at every stage of their careers and lives, we provide a competitive total rewards and benefits package. Here are the global benefits we’d like to highlight:
- Flexible remote and hybrid working options
- Competitive Salary and a variable component tied to personal and company performance
- Company equity
- Focus Fridays, a half-day each month to focus on learning and personal growth
- Generous PTO and paid holidays
- Mental health benefits
- 2 MAD Days per year (Make A Difference Days for paid volunteering)
Additional benefits may be offered by country - ask your recruiter for more information.
At Shift we strive to be a diverse and inclusive workforce. We hire and trust people without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other non-merit criteria.
Shift Technology is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our application and employment process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Shift Technology does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to the Shift Technology Careers page or a Shift Technology social media post. Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Shift Technology.