Technology Lead - Backend Services and Integrations
About Koa Health
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a four-fold increase in mental disorders around the world, impacting individuals, companies, and communities. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. Today, we simply don’t have enough mental health clinicians to meet demand. Koa Health aims to solve the gap between demand and supply with a unique human-digital hybrid approach, built upon the best digital technology in the literature. Koa’s digital assets deliver the highest quality care, measured through engagement, program completion, patient and clinician satisfaction, and clinical efficacy. Critically, Koa technology substantially increases clinician productivity, allowing our precious clinicians to treat more people. With more than fifty papers in the literature, twelve clinical trials, 26 patents, and broad and deep clinical networks in place, we have just launched Koa Care 360 - a uniquely scalable and profitable mental health care service.
Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and additional €20m funding in May 2022, we are currently closing our Series B round of investment, with €12M secured from our existing investors. You can read more about Koa Health on our website here. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in!
** Koa is accepting applications from people who can travel to work in Barcelona regularly. We do all work remotely as a team but value the ability to meet up when we want to. Usually on a monthly basis **
Your New Role
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Technolgy Lead to drive our backend services and the integration of new services into our platform. In this role, you will play a key role in defining, developing, and maintaining both mobile and web applications as well as their corresponding backends. Our tech stack includes NodeJS, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, GraphQL, AWS, EKS, Serverless, Flutter, Angular and React; and we are committed to building scalable and robust solutions that push the boundaries of technology.
- Lead a team focused on operating, improving, and customizing systems for activating new clients in collaboration with commercial teams.
- Demonstrate leadership by excelling as a software engineer while coaching and mentoring 2-3 senior engineers.
- Support pre-sales technical consultancy with clients, offering expertise in integration and customization. Develop rapid prototypes and proof-of-concepts for seamless integration with the product backlog.
- Take responsibility for designing, implementing, customizing, and evolving the overall structure of backend systems to ensure scalability, resiliency, and maintainability.
- Oversee database design, API development, server-side logic, and optimization. Select appropriate technologies for backend infrastructure, prioritizing performance and industry best practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, including product managers, commercial teams, frontend developers, and the platform team, to align backend architecture with overall technology goals.
- Provide guidance to the development team, ensuring implemented solutions align with the overall architecture.
- Focus on designing scalable systems capable of handling increased loads and performance requirements.
- Participate proactively in team technical meetings and discussions.
- Implement new features, refactor code, and address issues for any of our products.
- Support the definition of integration and end-to-end tests for components and modules.
- Architect technical solutions based on our product portfolio, integrating and developing new components and services to activate customers.
- Write comprehensive technical documentation.
In this new role, having deep technical competence and adaptability are of paramount importance. We are seeking a candidate who not only thrives in working across diverse teams and areas but is also comfortable immersing themselves in a specific problem into a product engineering team for extended periods. Equally crucial is the ability to swiftly transition between different focal points, guided by the strategic direction set by organizational leadership.
- Comfortable with, and adaptable to, a start-up environment with high levels of ambiguity.
- Sense of ownership/accountability for the success of the company.
- Work both independently and collaboratively as a team member or leading others, actively participating in code reviews.
- Motivation for solving customers problems and delivering value to customers at a fast pace
- Responsible for driving the technological decisions that make great our products and solutions, collaborate with different product teams, and provide technical guidance to requirements of the business.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency, customer satisfaction and the business value.
- Proven record of working with cloud-based architectures and delivering software solutions to customers is a big plus.
- Defining, designing and owning API contracts made for internal and external stakeholders
- Quickly create prototypes and integrate existing systems.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and clearly communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Be able to understand our technical stack, products and solutions and propose continuous improvements
- Understanding of AWS, Serverless architectures and Amazon’s development ecosystem is a must
Desired Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing systems in mobile and web apps is a great plus.
- Hands-on experience with NodeJS + TypeScript for the backend is a must. Running on a Kubernetes infrastructure in the Cloud. Flutter, Angular or React is a plus
- Prove experience leading other engineers is a big plus.
- Experience dealing with services integrations and market adaptations.
- Specialist in Cloud services, AWS most desired, with a proven track record of designing and delivering scalable, resilient and cost-effective solutions.
- Hands on experience integrating OAuth2 OIDC and SAML2
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in digital health, working on one of today’s hottest topics – mental health. By working with Koa, you will make a positive impact on the lives of many people.
Aside from the power of our mission, we provide all the support and benefits to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable year-round, such as:
- Competitive rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bonus Scheme, and Share Options
- We believe in walking the talk: We are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit
- Flexibility: We’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can whilst managing your work-life balance in your own way
- Worldwide WeWork membership: We provide access to WeWork for those who prefer hybrid working (remote and in the office). Across the world, you will find Koa teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace in Barcelona and in our offices in downtown Boston and central London
- An international environment: Our teams, our clients and our collaborators span the US, the UK, Europe, and Asia. Our breadth of experience offers the opportunity to understand and get involved in healthcare systems worldwide.
An inclusive workplace
At Koa Health, we are proud to have a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that diversity and inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other. Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a scale-up company, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.