About Koa Health
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a four-fold increase in mental disorders around the world, impacting individuals, companies, and communities. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. Today, we simply don’t have enough mental health clinicians to meet demand. Koa Health aims to solve the gap between demand and supply with a unique human-digital hybrid approach, built upon the best digital technology in the literature. Koa’s digital assets deliver the highest quality care, measured through engagement, program completion, patient and clinician satisfaction, and clinical efficacy. Critically, Koa technology substantially increases clinician productivity, allowing our precious clinicians to treat more people. With more than fifty papers in the literature, twelve clinical trials, 26 patents, and broad and deep clinical networks in place, we have just launched Koa Care 360 - a uniquely scalable and profitable mental health care service.
Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and additional €20m funding in May 2022, we are currently closing our Series B round of investment, with €12M secured from our existing investors. You can read more about Koa Health on our website here. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in!
** Koa is accepting applications from people who can travel to work in Barcelona regularly. We do all work remotely as a team but value the ability to meet up when we want to. Usually on a monthly basis **
Your New Role
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Staff Engineer to join our dynamic team. As a Staff Engineer, you will play a key role in defining, developing, and maintaining both mobile and web applications as well as their corresponding backends. Our tech stack includes NodeJS, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, GraphQL, AWS, EKS, Serverless, Flutter, Angular and React; and we are committed to building scalable and robust solutions that push the boundaries of technology.
- Design, implement, and maintain scalable and high-performance mobile and web applications
- A proven track record of using software in our our technology stack NodeJS (experience with NestJS and Express are big pluses), TypeScript, Flutter, Angular, React, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, AWS and EKS.
- The ability to drive the implementation of critical and complex components within the system.
- Lead and mentor a team of developers, providing technical guidance and ensuring the adherence to best engineering practices.
- Actively participate in coding tasks, demonstrating expertise in software development.
- Take a lead role in architecting solutions that are both innovative and scalable, considering long-term maintainability and performance.
- Conduct thorough code reviews to maintain code quality, consistency, and ensure compliance with coding standards.
- Identify and prioritize areas of technical debt, and work collaboratively with the team to address and mitigate such issues.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, technical leads, designers, and other engineers, to deliver high-quality software solutions.
- Stay updated with the latest industry trends and technologies, and actively contribute to the continuous improvement of development processes with the adoption of new tools, frameworks, and methodologies.
In this new role, having deep technical competence and adaptability are of paramount importance. We are seeking a candidate who not only thrives in working across diverse teams and areas but is also comfortable immersing themselves in a specific problem into a product engineering team for extended periods. Equally crucial is the ability to swiftly transition between different focal points, guided by the strategic direction set by organizational leadership.
- Comfortable with, and adaptable to, a start-up environment with high levels of ambiguity.
- Sense of ownership/accountability for the success of the company.
- Motivated to solving technical challenges and delivering value into our products at a fast pace
- Provide leadership in architectural design, technical decision-making, and code reviews.
- Responsible for driving the technological decisions that make great our products and solutions, collaborate with different product teams, and provide technical guidance to requirements of the business.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency, customer satisfaction and the business value.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and clearly communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Be able to understand our technical stack, products and solutions and propose continuous improvements
- Proven record working on AWS development ecosystem is a must.
- Reporting to the SVP of Engineering and being part of the leadership team in engineering.
Desired Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing systems in mobile and web apps is a must.
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer with expertise in NodeJS (NestJS and Express are big pluses), TypeScript, PostgreSQL, AWS, EKS, Serverless, and Flutter. Angular and React front-end for web are big pluses. Expertise with AWS services and how to use them is a must.
- Experience with Infrastructure as code, automation, CI/CD is a plus.
- Experience with integration and end to end tests is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience in managing technical debt and implementing solutions for long-term code maintainability.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to architect scalable and maintainable solutions.
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in digital health, working on one of today’s hottest topics – mental health. By working with Koa, you will make a positive impact on the lives of many people.
Aside from the power of our mission, we provide all the support and benefits to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable year-round, such as:
- Competitive rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bonus Scheme, and Share Options
- We believe in walking the talk: We are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit
- Flexibility: We’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can whilst managing your work-life balance in your own way
- Worldwide WeWork membership: We provide access to WeWork for those who prefer hybrid working (remote and in the office). Across the world, you will find Koa teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace in Barcelona and in our offices in downtown Boston and central London
- An international environment: Our teams, our clients and our collaborators span the US, the UK, Europe, and Asia. Our breadth of experience offers the opportunity to understand and get involved in healthcare systems worldwide.
An inclusive workplace
At Koa Health, we are proud to have a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that diversity and inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other. Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a scale-up company, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.