Tech Lead - Multidevice Application Development
About Koa Health
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a four-fold increase in mental disorders around the world, impacting individuals, companies, and communities. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. Today, we simply don’t have enough mental health clinicians to meet demand. Koa Health aims to solve the gap between demand and supply with a unique human-digital hybrid approach, built upon the best digital technology in the literature. Koa’s digital assets deliver the highest quality care, measured through engagement, program completion, patient and clinician satisfaction, and clinical efficacy. Critically, Koa technology substantially increases clinician productivity, allowing our precious clinicians to treat more people. With more than fifty papers in the literature, twelve clinical trials, 26 patents, and broad and deep clinical networks in place, we have just launched Koa Care 360 - a uniquely scalable and profitable mental health care service.
Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and additional €20m funding in May 2022, we are currently closing our Series B round of investment, with €12M secured from our existing investors. You can read more about Koa Health on our website here. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in!
About the role
We are looking for an experienced and talented Tech Lead to lead our mobile and web application development team for our flagship wellbeing application (Foundations). As the Technical Lead, you will play a central role in shaping and guiding the development of our application and working closely with the product manager and designers, working closely with the technology leadership team of the company. The successful candidate will possess a strong background in mobile application development, backend services, and frontend technologies. This role also requires great leadership skills and a proven track record of tackling challenges and delivering exceptional solutions in a fast-paced environment. Our technology stack includes Flutter and Dart, Node.js, TypeScript, PostgreSQL and AWS for cloud infrastructure.
- Lead a team of skilled developers in designing, building, testing, and maintaining our best-in-class wellbeing application using Flutter and Dart for frontend, and Node.js and TypeScript for backend services.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, designers, and cross-functional teams to understand requirements, plan features, and deliver high-quality solutions.
- Drive the architectural decisions for the mobile and web application, ensuring scalability, maintainability, and adherence to best practices.
- Proven record of hands-on development, writing clean, reusable, and efficient code to ensure the high performance and scalability of the applications, and setting a high bar for code quality and best practices.
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to maintain code quality and our internal coding standards.
- Oversee the development of backend services including API design, data modeling, and integration with third-party services, using Node.js and TypeScript.
- Mentor and guide team members in technical matters, providing expertise and promoting skill growth across frontend and backend development.
- Address technical challenges proactively, finding creative solutions and ensuring the successful resolution of complex issues.
- Manage project timelines, deliverables, and priorities, ensuring on-time delivery and alignment with business goals.
- Stay updated with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices to continuously improve the application's performance, user experience, and architecture.
- Collaborate with DevOps teams to ensure seamless deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of the application on AWS infrastructure.
- Support the definition of integration and end to end tests for components and modules with the support of our QA team.
- Be part of the technology leadership team of the company, reporting to the VP of engineering
- Write technical documentation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Comfortable with, and adaptable to, a start-up environment with high levels of ambiguity.
- Sense of ownership/accountability for the success of the company and the professional development of your team.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in mobile application development (using Flutter and Dart is a big plus), with solid understanding of responsive design principles, cross-browser compatibility, and accessibility standards.
- 5+ years of experience with backend development for mobile applications (using Node.js and TypeScript is a big plus)
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, Kubernetes, Lambda, DynamoDB and GraphQL for application deployment and management is a big plus. Desire to have some knowledge on Terraform.
- Knowledge of version control systems Github and agile development methodologies.
- Excellent debugging skills with a keen attention to the details.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and project management tools.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically under pressure.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English.
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in digital health, working on one of today’s hottest topics – mental health. By working with Koa, you will make a positive impact on the lives of many people.
Aside from the power of our mission, we provide all the support and benefits to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable year-round, such as:
- Competitive rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bonus Scheme, and Share Options
- We believe in walking the talk: We are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit
- Flexibility: We’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can whilst managing your work-life balance in your own way
- Worldwide WeWork membership: We provide access to WeWork for those who prefer hybrid working (remote and in the office). Across the world, you will find Koa teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace in Barcelona and in our offices in downtown Boston and central London
- An international environment: Our teams, our clients and our collaborators span the US, the UK, Europe, and Asia. Our breadth of experience offers the opportunity to understand and get involved in healthcare systems worldwide.
An inclusive workplace
At Koa Health, we are proud to have a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that diversity and inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other. Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a scale-up company, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.