Senior Backend Engineer
At Koa Health, we believe in putting people (and their mental health) first. So we’ve made it our goal to leverage technology and research to enable people to change their behaviors with effective and accessible support that adapts to their unique circumstances. Having secured a successful and oversubscribed Series A funding totaling €30m (ca.$36M) in October 2020 and currently closing our Series B round of investment, we are continuing on a steady path to grow our global team. Read more about our story here.
Against the backdrop of decades of rising demand, mental health has never been more important. The Covid pandemic has led to a 4x increase in mental disorders around the world. With no increase in the supply of clinicians, tens of millions of people are stranded today without access to care. There has never been a more critical moment for the work that we’re leading at Koa Health. And this is where you come in.
- Be part of the team with the responsibility of operating, improving and customizing our current systems used in the activation of new clients in collaboration with our commercial teams.
- Reacting in real-time to customer issues, troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Supporting the business in pre-sales technical consultancy with clients, providing expertise in integration and customisation. Developing rapid prototypes and proof-of-concepts to unblock business discussions, then handing them over in a good state for integration with the product backlog.
- Implement new features for any of our products, refactors and fixes and reason about the solution adopted.
- Participate proactively in team technical meetings and discussions.
- Support the definition of integration and end to end tests for components and modules.
- Architecting technical solutions based on our product portfolio and integrating / developing new components and services that enable to activate any customer.
- Write technical documentation
- Work independently and as a team, participating in code reviews.
- Direct ownership and end-to-end responsibility for the entire software development life cycle: analysis, development, testing and deployment.
Your New Role
- Comfortable with, and adaptable to, a start-up environment with high levels of ambiguity.
- Sense of ownership/accountability for the success of the company.
- Motivation for solving customers problems and delivering value to customers at a fast pace
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency, customer satisfaction and the business value.
- Proven record of working with cloud-based architectures and delivering software solutions to customers.
- Defining, designing and owning API contracts made for internal and external stakeholders
- Quickly create prototypes and integrate existing systems.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and clearly communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Be able to understand our technical stack, products and solutions and propose continuous improvements
- Plan, design, implement and document the integration and deployment process.
- Understanding on AWS is a big plus
- The process often starts by communicating with the client to see what their needs are. This eventually leads to test plan specifications and working with clients through analysis and design of the solution that is to be integrated.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing systems in mobile and web apps. Familiarity with Angular or React front-end for web, Flutter for mobile devices, NodeJS + TypeScript for the backend running on a Kubernetes infrastructure in the Cloud.
- Experience dealing with customer requests and market adaptations.
- Specialist in Cloud services, AWS most desired, with a proven track record of designing and delivering scalable, resilient and cost-effective solutions.
- Able to deliver on time, on budget and on scope and experience on managed services and integration solutions is a plus
- Experience in developing in international and multicultural contexts.
- Hands on experience integrating OAuth2 OpenID Connect and SAML2
- Experience with observability tools such as: Kibana, Elasticsearch, Datadog, etc...
- Experience with Infrastructure as code, automation, CI/CD is a plus
- Serverless architectures.
- Suitable supporting coding languages (for instance, Python, JS/TS, Golang, etc)
- Experience with integration and end to end tests.
- Experience working with Software as Medical Device (SaMD) or regulated medical device software is a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Why Koa Health?
We are at the forefront of innovation in the MedTech arena, working on one of the hottest topics of today – behavioural health. By working with us, in whatever role, you get to make a true impact on the lives of others.
Aside from this, we provide all the necessary support and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, such as:
- A fantastic rewards package that includes: Food Allowance, Private Health Insurance, Pension Contribution, Life Insurance, Bi-annual Bonus Scheme, Uncapped Sales Incentive Plans and Share Options.
- As a business we are focused on supporting your wellbeing and therefore provide you with a Wellbeing Allowance and Wellbeing Leave, as well as a generous annual leave allocation to help manage both your mental and physical health as you see fit.
- True flexibility – we’re hiring your skills and experience, so ask you to use these in the most effective way you can and manage your work-life balance accordingly.
- Worldwide WeWork membership access for those who prefer a hybrid schedule; you will find our teams collaborating on our private rooftop terrace when visiting our Barcelona office.
- An international environment with a company culture focused on wellbeing and personal growth.
An Inclusive Workplace
At Koa Health, we facilitate a safe space where cultures, backgrounds, ideas and ways of solving problems can combine. This unique mix is a big part of our recipe for success when it comes to working towards our mission of mental health for all. We firmly believe that Diversity & Inclusion should be embedded in the fabric of our organization and we know true progress comes with long-term commitments and actions. We are building a space where our people feel respected for who they are and are rewarded based on the impact they make to the business.
Regardless of your personal identifiers, at Koa Health you can be yourself, and feel respected, accepted and supported. We promote an inclusive culture where people who think and act differently can discover ways to learn from each other.
Promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity must be a company-wide effort. As a young start-up, we are creating a safe space that fosters acceptance and invites differences as part of our first steps toward building a resilient and inclusive work environment.