2nd Line Operational Risk Manager: Third Party
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
On our path to becoming the world’s favorite way to shop, we’re assembling an unparalleled global talent network, accelerating individual careers, and disrupting entire industries. We are on a mission to liberate humanity from all the meaningless time spent managing their purchases and finances, so they can do more of what they love. We’re in search of global talent eager to embrace our atmosphere and defy their own expectations.
Who you are
We are looking for ambitious people with significant drive! We need problem solvers, initiative takers, people that see opportunities and potential to improve. You should be passionate about your job and enjoy a fast-paced international working environment. You will play an important role in taking Klarna to the next level - thus, you should desire to go above and beyond to deliver and grow as an individual. At Klarna we embrace change, you should dare to challenge the status quo and be persistent in doing so.
What you will do
As a Risk Control Manager, your main goal is to identify and manage any obstacle that could hinder Klarna to meet our strategic objectives and ensure that Klarna acts within the set risk appetite set by the Board and CEO.
Your accountability line will be within the 2nd line of defense led by Klarnas CRO and your competence line will belong to the Analytic competence. You will have a senior Operational Risk person as your Competence Lead ensuring your long term development at Klarna.
Since Klarna is a data-driven company, decisions are based on facts and not opinions, which suits this role very well. The analytics competencies are integrated into the organization and a key function in many different areas - some examples of the others are; finance, fraud, HR, product development, and sales.
Even if Analytics is applied in many different areas there are some things that all analysts have in common: a strong drive combined with analytical skills and a great team spirit! As your career develops you will develop expertise in certain areas. You will work in close collaboration with the management team where you will actively evangelize the risk-based decision-making approach and ensure compliance to the internal risk management processes.
Besides supporting the teams to follow processes and procedures that have been developed on a Klarna level, you will work hands-on with assignments that require a certain level of seniority due to the complex nature of banking products.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Support in setting and executing against the operational risk framework through definition of Policies (and Instructions and Routines where appropriate) to provide the first line of defense with the necessary information to execute their responsibilities. This includes the responsibility of ensuring that operational risk management practices are in line with Klarna’s strategy, market practices and regulatory requirements
- Provide independent information, insights and expert judgment on our third party risk exposures against risk appetite and regulation, and provide advice on material risk management decisions
- Develop and execute a plan to oversee and monitor third party risks and controls in the first line of defense, including challenging the design and implementation of controls and risk mitigating actions.
- Collect incident data to analyze trends and root causes to identify emerging risks and ensure these are remediated.
- Conduct regular process and deep dive reviews (including control testing), to understand the risks, controls and mitigating actions in a particular Domain, topic related to third party risk management, with any material findings reported to management.
- Provide data driven reporting and analysis to management and governance committees
- Support the first line of defense in identifying new, or improving existing risks, controls and key risk indicators to reduce and monitor third party risks within various domains
- Manage audits and follow up completion of mitigations
- Analyze problems to understand their root cause by structuring, manipulating and exploring data
- Stay updated on operational risk and third party related regulations and provide meaningful reporting to key risk management forums on material changes
- Generate and communicate insights and recommendations
- Ability to find data and information in collaboration with other people and teams across all three lines of defense
- Apply both a helicopter perspective as well as have the ability to go into details
You should have:
- A degree from a university in a numerate subject (e.g. Economics, Science, Engineering, or Business)
- Applicable work experience in a risk management function or consulting/audit environment of +5 years, with a focus on third party risk management
- The skillset to explain risk in both oral and in writing to an inexperienced audience
- Experience of working in a regulated environment
- The skillset to interpret regulations and put them into practice
- Experience in establishing and improving controls and key risk indicators to reduce and monitor third party risk exposures
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Strong attention to detail and experience in using structured approaches to problem-solving without losing the big picture perspective
- Significant drive and ambition
You might also have:
- A good understanding of modern cloud-based development
- Experience from agile development methods
- Preferably an understanding of how to perform data extraction and manipulation, as well as programming languages is a plus (SQL, R, Python, MatLab, Java, C# etc…)
How to apply
Send over a CV in English.
What we offer:
Diversity & Community
With our diversity of skills, perspectives and backgrounds, we can create, innovate, and disrupt like no other. Diversity is part of who we are, and essential to our success.
Ownership & Impact
Here, every voice matters. We’re organized into hundreds of small teams, each run like a start-up, focused on their own problem-space.
Trust & Collaboration
Successes and failures are won together at Klarna in a melting pot of teams. Win, lose, and learn, we’re on this path together.
If you love what you do, you should love where you do it. We appreciate that everyone’s different and has their own preferences of where and how to work. We genuinely believe in the power of regular face-to-face interactions in building close connections with our teams, but we also strongly believe people can work effectively remotely. This means that combining both is the key to success.
At Klarna, You can choose between working from the office, hybrid within your employment country, or even outside of it for up to 20 working days per year. Flex it up!
Challenges & Rewards
We take a very Swedish approach to benefits. Support for parents, health and wellness perks—we’ve got you covered.
Since 2005 Klarna has been on a mission to revolutionize the retail banking industry. With over 150 million global active users and 2 million transactions per day, Klarna is meeting the changing demands of consumers by saving them time and money while helping them be informed and in control. Over 450,000 global retail partners, including H&M, Saks, Sephora, Macys, IKEA, Expedia Group, and Nike have integrated Klarna's innovative technology to deliver a seamless shopping experience online and in-store. Klarna has over 6,000 employees and is active in 45 markets. For more information, visit Klarna.com
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender, identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.