Senior Software Engineer - Java
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2023
On our path to becoming the world's favorite way to shop, we’re assembling an unparalleled global talent network, accelerating individual careers, and disrupting entire industries. We are on a mission to liberate humanity from all the meaningless time spent managing their purchases and finances, so they can do more of what they love. We’re in search of global talent eager to embrace our atmosphere and defy their own expectations.
This is an excellent opportunity for Software Engineers to join our office in our tech hub of Milan, Italy.
About Engineering at Klarna
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring, and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Check out what it's like to be an engineer at Klarna here.
What you’ll get to do:
- Own your services end to end. Decide how best to build, test, deploy and monitor.
- Be an integral part of a team, in addition to its culture and ways of working. Common practices include agile methodologies, pair and mob programming.
- Work with large scale, highly available and resilient modern financial systems.
- Take ownership on system design, collaborate with domain architects, own end-to-end problems, manage stakeholder communication, and mentor junior engineers
- Succeed, fail, and learn together with other talented people. We believe in an environment that provides an opportunity for growth and see education as an outcome of failure that gets us closer to the next breakthrough.
- Work with modern tools and languages that excite you.
- You will be the interface between business / customer using your product knowledge to make informed decisions.
- Take responsibility for end-to-end feature work; through planning, development, deployment, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Drive knowledge sharing through demos, presentations and tutorials.
Some of the technologies you will get to work with:
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Other technologies include: Docker and Kubernetes, Kafka/SNS/SQS, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack, Microservice architecture at scale on AWS*
* Even if you are not proficient in all of them, you should be open to learning and working with any of these technologies as the choices available may change over time.
To succeed in this role, we think you should have:
- Software development experience
- Experienced working with modern frameworks
- Strong problem solving ability
- Growth mindset and bias for action
- Good communication skills in English
We understand some people might not feel they tick every box (ie coming from a non JS background). But if you're excited about the prospect of joining Klarna and believe you can add value, we'd still love to hear from you.
What we can offer you
Diversity & Community
With our diversity of skills, perspectives and backgrounds, we can create, innovate, and disrupt like no other. Diversity is part of who we are, and essential to our success.
Ownership & Impact
Here, every voice matters. We’re organised into hundreds of small teams, each run like a start-up, focused on their own problem-space.
Trust & Collaboration
Successes and failures are won together at Klarna in a melting pot of teams. Win, lose, and learn, we’re on this path together.
If you love what you do, you should love where you do it. We appreciate that everyone’s different and has their own preferences of where and how to work. We genuinely believe in the power of regular face-to-face interactions in building close connections with our teams, but we also strongly believe people can work effectively remotely. This means that combining both is the key to success.
At Klarna, You can choose between working from the office, remotely within your employment country, or even outside of it for up to 20 working days per year. Flex it up!
Additionally, we’re providing each Klarnaut with a contribution and equipment to improve this flexible work life. Use it to glow up that personal home office space, or upgrade those work accessories.
Challenges & Rewards
We take a very serious approach to benefits, understanding and aligning with local expectations. We provide meal vouchers, free snacks, fruits and drinks, Mental Health support and a Welfare platform. Our benefits package is always under review!
Total Compensation & RSU
We offer an attractive total compensation package that includes for all of our employees the opportunity to invest in a RSU program and own a stake of the company. We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna.
Since 2005 Klarna has been on a mission to revolutionise the retail banking industry. With over 150 million global active users and 2 million transactions per day, Klarna is meeting the changing demands of consumers by helping them save time and money while better managing their cash flow and making informed decisions. Over 450,000 global retail partners, including H&M, Saks, Sephora, Macys, IKEA, Expedia Group, and Nike have integrated Klarna’s innovative technology to deliver a seamless shopping experience online and in-store. Klarna is active in 45 markets, with the fastest growing community of shoppers and a valuation of $6.7 billion. For more information, visit Klarna.com
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender, identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.
How to apply: please send us your CV or Linkedin profile in English.