HQ BARCELONA - Senior Scala Engineer
- Who we are: We are a workforce on-demand company that heavily relies on tech. We integrate the complete process of selecting, hiring, and managing employees, being the first in digitizing all the steps, introducing Artificial Intelligence solutions in multiple phases, obtaining faster and higher-quality service for our clients, and great satisfaction and loyalty for our workers.
- Our Impact on Society: Our vision is to create a long-term job security condition for our workers while providing flexible solutions to our clients. We can do this by concatenating different short-term contracts and minimizing–or completely removing–their unemployed time. We want to remove the need for finding a job ever again.
- Data-Driven: Being the owner of the entire hiring funnel, workforce management, and working experience, give us very unique data that we transform into powerful knowledge to make better decisions, improve job-candidate matches, estimate quality and affinity, and share performance feedback with our workers and clients. We are the most advanced workforce on-demand company thanks to our data and the way we use it.
- Great Challenges for the Data Team: Integrating very different AI solutions to improve the experience for both our workers and employers (Shift Optimization, Machine Learning algorithms, Quality Score Estimations, Document recognition, etc.), relying on a very powerful ETL that permits endless automatizations while keeping the focus on data quality.
- Growth Overview: An annual growth of 170%, available in multiple countries: the UK, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Mexico, Colombia, France, and more are coming. HQ in Madrid with a second big presence in Barcelona and some remote workers in the UK, The Netherlands, and the USA. And finally, some of our great clients are Amazon, XPOLogistics, Cabify, Santander, Just Eat, etc.
Senior Scala Polyglot
A Senior Engineer for the CORE Data Science team works across different projects together with Data Engineers, Data Scientists, and Data Analysts.
What do we expect from you
- Raise the quality bar: build high-quality and sustainable code, and being able to propose better protocols, formats, and approaches when you see the need.
- Direct impact and ownership: from brainstorming around the initial concepts and problems, to design and implement the solutions in production. You should be able to cover the entire full-cycle and being aware of how these solutions are used and how they perform over time.
- Polyglot: you should be comfortable switching between different programming languages and/or frameworks, even though experience with Scala is extremely important.
- Mentoring and leadership: as a Senior Engineer we need you to help to define protocols and procedures, guide other team members to improve their level and expertise as individuals and as a team.
- Play outside your comfort zone: working on different Data Science related projects means working on areas in which you might not be the final expert. This means that you always have to be willing to grow and learn.
Requirements and Skills
- 6+ Year experience as Backend Developer mainly building Scala and/or Java services and APIs, with staging and production environments.
- Experience in writing production-quality code in a container-based fashion, and working with Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with different kinds of databases (RDBMS, NoSQL, document-based, key-values based).
- Desirable experience with Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Kinesis, Spark/Hadoop, Clickhouse.
- Desirable experience working with ETL and Data Pre-processing pipelines (mainly in Python as we are using Airflow among other frameworks).
- A valid work permit to be employed in Spain.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
Examples of Projects
The Data Science team is a very diverse team in terms of experiences and skills, and that is our straight point when facing new complex challenges. We need to design and implement the best solution for different problems without the sacrifice of a strong and high-qualitative code.
- Implement Scala endpoints that run Machine Learning models that forecast the performance scores or our workers.
- Build consumers from RabbitMQ and Kinesis to fill-up our Features Storage system.
- Design and implement optimized data processing pipelines.
- Brainstorm and improve our internal Information Retrieval frameworks and its libraries to improve the accuracy of the candidate-job matching across multiple countries.
- Work with the Data Automation & Quality team on the ETL code to help automatizing complex data logics written in Python into clean and maintainable code.
- Work on Proof-of-Concept tasks, from understanding very well a new problem, investigating and exploring solutions, and making them a reality leading the implementation to production.
Feel free to explore our JT Engineering Blog for more details.
Offer in Short
- Great ownership of the projects with a direct impact on the product.
- A complete benefits program that includes flexible remuneration through expenses for restaurants, transport, childcare, and health insurance.
- A yearly budget for Conferences/meetup/self-learning.
- Possibility of working remotely.
- A yearly budget for Conferences/meetup/self-learning.
- Working in an international and multidisciplinary team
You will be working in the Data Science team (read the last blog posts), together with Full-stack Engineers, Data Scientists, and Data Analysts.
How the Jobandtalent Engineering team is structured?
- What we call “Product Team” includes the Product & Design, Tech, and Data.
- Product & Design ⇒ all the Product Owners and Designers that belong to the different Product Features teams (cross-functional teams that take care of some specific parts of the product).
- Tech ⇒ includes all the main engineering profiles and guilds, such as Backend, Frontend, Android, iOS, and Platform. The majority of them are embedded into the Product Features teams to create our extremely independent and cross-functional teams.
- Data ⇒ includes three different teams, namely Data Analytics, Data Science, and Data Engineering.
How the Jobandtalent Data team is organized?
- The Data team includes three different teams that work very closely together.
- The Data Engineering one owns the data pipelines and processes that generate the data needed by our Data Warehouse, and thus by the entire Jobandtalent.
- The Data Science team, which owns all the models used by the Product teams
- The Data Analytics team is composed of two types of profiles: (i) Product Data Analysts, which work embedded in the Product Team following a Hub’n’Spoke approach, and (ii) Data Partners, which are working closely with other departments such as Finance, Sales, Marketing, etc.
How do we organize the tasks and the planning?
- We are very data-driven, we have clear KPIs for each project, team, and goal.
- We define strong OKRs for every quarter, we work with bi-weekly Sprint (each team has its own JIRA Project), and a Data PM is leading the delivery processes and metrics.
Join us in one of the hottest startups in Spain, breaking into a new market worldwide, learning and contributing with your expertise in innovating the entire job market!