Senior Software Engineer
Who we are
FloodMapp is a rapidly growing technology company with the important mission to build a safer future. Flooding is the costliest natural disaster, causing billions in damage and taking thousands of lives across the globe every year. FloodMapp delivers real-time flood intelligence to emergency managers, supporting them to prepare, respond and recover from flood events. We work with asset owners to prevent damaged streamline recovery efforts to keep lights on and roads open. We work with government agencies to improve safety and save lives through targeted evacuations, road closures and swift water rescue. In the face of a changing climate, we help communities adapt, to increase resilience, and recover from disasters.
At FloodMapp, people are our main focus, because hard problems require an exceptional team. As a diverse team, we value people & empathy, integrity & accountability, innovation for growth and communication. Everyone learns from each other. Everyone is passionate about solving a growing global problem and making a global impact. We all work to build a safer future. We believe that the unique ideas brought from all of our amazing team is one of the keys to our success. To create an inclusive and diverse culture, we encourage and celebrate applicants of any race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with a cutting-edge tech stack (we’re cloud native) to design and build high-quality systems and services while contributing to technical decisions that directly affect our product and the experience of our customers. You’ll get to learn from the best by working alongside some of the most skilled talent in the industry. You’ll work alongside other software engineers, data scientists, and flood engineers to build real-time flood forecasting and mapping. You’ll learn a plethora of technologies ranging from GIS tools, to machine learning libraries, hydrology, hydraulics and all manner of infrastructure. You’ll deploy to production almost every day, you’ll have a voice in making critical decisions and be instrumental in building solutions that create a safer future.
- Write plenty of high quality code (we’re a Python house)
- Build and deploy infrastructure to efficiently handle large volumes of real-time data
- Provide technical mentoring and code reviews
- Design, build, and maintain relational databases in PostGIS
- Design, build, and maintain Flask and FastAPI REST API endpoints
- Support the development of QGIS plugins to improve tooling for our Flood Operations Team
- Evaluate design decisions from low level details like file types and data structures to high level system orchestration techniques.
- Your day to day will involve building internal APIs and tools which will allow our operations teams to continue to develop state of the art models which help save lives.
Surface level knowledge won’t be enough. Everyone eventually gets into the weeds of their domain, and part of our learning culture is that we expect you to coach & train your peers so we all stay up-to-date on the best ways to tackle the hardest problems. We are all mentors and mentees. You’ll be joining a group of lifelong learners who are eager to understand and build tools that will make a real impact. As a small but quickly advancing company, many pathways exist for career progression. We aim to be meritocracy that allows both leaders and technical experts to grow and develop.
Your skills and background
- 8+ years in software development with experience in writing high-performance quality code in Python
- Experience and knowledge of building and maintaining AWS infrastructure
- Experience wrangling and manipulating large volumes of data in PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with Docker
It’s great, but not required if you have:
- DevOps experience, especially using Terraform
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
Your Pay & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Paid birthday leave each year
- Paid reboot leave each year to promote mental & physical health
- Employee Wellness Program
- End-of-Trip Facilities: bicycle parking and showers with a free towel service
- Team events & celebrations
- Free aeropress coffee (don’t worry the team will show you how to brew it)
- Never ending snacks
- We’re based in The Precinct with the QLD AI hub. There are regular tech meetups and social events for all of the startups based in the building
- Brisbane or Melbourne, Australia.
- You should have full working rights to live and work in Australia.
How to apply
Please click ‘Apply’, sending your resume and a cover letter telling us why you want to join our mission.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Don’t count yourself out just yet. Studies have shown some individuals are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At FloodMapp, we are dedicated to building a diverse workplace based on merit, great work ethics, and character. So, if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job advertisement, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. We look forward to hearing from you!