Data & Product Innovation Intern
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
In order to support the improvement of our current risk modelling capabilities and our product offering, we handle a vast portfolio of data coming from diverse sources (satellite, meteorological stations, IoT sensors and radar) and lookout for innovative ways to enhance our insurance product offerings.
Due to rapid growth, we are seeking to recruit a Data & Product Innovation Intern (final year internship) to further expand our Innovation team, for a period of 6 months.
Your responsibilities would include contributing to the :
- Monitoring of the interaction and business with our data (radar, satellite, weather stations, etc) and sensor partner’s network;
- Testing of our data partners capabilities and event response quality;
- Development of technology, data and product innovation watch through benchmarks as to remain at the forefront of our industry;
- New Products roadmap in partnership with all stakeholders (sales, underwriting, modelling, legal,..).
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Final year in MSc in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or Engineering Degree or equivalent;
- Ideally, courses and/or degree in business or innovation management.
- Team spirit;
- Clear communication skills (be able to transmit expectations & needs of the company);
- Good interpersonal skills;
- English professional;
- Strategical thinker;
- Ability to synthetize complex or technical topics to non-technical audience;
- Interested in risks understanding and design of insurance products;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Strong desire to learn and commit to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Eager to research about different technologies to help assess the market and take informative decisions;
- Enthusiasm to try new things and gain new skills (e.g. look into legal topics, regulations, etc.).
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in France, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence ; (uniquement pour les Data Scientist & Tech)
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.) ;
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment ;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity ;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers ;
- You can benefit from a hybrid work mode.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application! https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.