Senior Business Developer - Germany
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Descartes Underwriting is seeking a Senior Business Developer to join our Team in Germany, responsible for the DACH region. You will report to the Commercial Director DACH and you will be a key contributor of developing the DACH markets together with the local team. The applicant will be in close and effective cooperation with all business units and play a vital role in the following activities.
- Market Development - Work jointly with the local team to develop the DACH markets for Descartes Underwriting by introducing Descartes parametric approach to brokers, corporate customers, associations and the public sector and execute the regional sales strategy.
- Lead Generation - Identifying new prospective distribution partners (brokers) and potential clients (Insureds) in various regions. Help identify cross-selling opportunities for existing clients. High engagement in ‘grass-roots’ sales efforts.
- Market Research & Education - Research (new) market and customer segments, assist in maintaining a central repository that stores information. Educate market participants in parametric approaches and hold trainings and webinars and represent Descartes at fairs and conventions.
- Proposal Development - Preparation of client proposals by collecting and organizing the technical underwriting and pricing information into Descartes’s branded templates.
- CRM & Data Management - Record broker engagement, contacts, event activities, client information, and due diligence in CRM systems.
- Analysis - Organizing business submissions from brokers including statement of values, loss runs, budgets and other prequalification documents. Assist in triaging of opportunities and summarize the information in a consolidated briefing.
- Compliance - Execute TOBA documentation and appointment contracts.
- Learn - Develop, maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional societies.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the DACH-team and the BD teams to optimize business opportunities & meet ratio objectives.
- Monitor insurance industry, and parametric specific, developments in the DACH market, effectively communicating insights internally.
- Travel: this position may entail some travel activities, including periodic overnight stays.
- Co-Working Locations: this position will entail in-person meetings at co-working facilities for onboarding and strategic update meetings on regularly basis.
Your missions will evolve in the future as Descartes is growing fast and many exciting projects are waiting for you. It's a unique opportunity to take a closer look inside a new generation of insurance business with huge ambitions!
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 2-5 years of experience in the German P&C Market in a business development, underwriting, marketing, sales, re-insurance or finance related role.
- Candidates with experience from P&C insurance brokerage firms, insurers or underwriting companies considered a plus.
- Expertise in Commercial Property insurance (incl. NatCat) space preferred.
- Fluency in German and English (written and verbal communication) – required;
- Command of one additional language (e.g. French) – valued;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, incl. sales & negotiation;
- Eye for quality, autonomous and attention to detail;
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial acumen;
- Desire for Business Development, Sales and developing a new market together with a young international team.
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity;
- Motivated to learn and help improve businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change;
- Eager to learn more about the insurance industry;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Join a company with a true purpose – help us help our clients be more resilient towards climate risks;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- A competitive salary, bonus and benefits;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY?
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application! https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.