ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 14 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As part of our strong growth, we are looking for a Reinsurance Expert to reinforce the team. You will directly report to the Chief R&D Officer.
Your tasks will include:
- Become the reinsurance placement contact for our treaty and reinsurance programs (traditional and alternative) for Descartes Insurance and Descartes Underwriting partners;
- Participate to the elaboration of our reinsurance strategy to support our growth which includes:
- Anticipation of market conditions by exchanging regularly with the reinsurance market;
- Active follow up of UW strategy and new products expansion in order to adapt our existing and new reinsurance treaties;
- Analysis of terms and conditions in collaboration with the Risk Management, Finance and UW.
- Implement the strategy and execute the placement of renewals and new treaties with reinsurers and brokers;
- Propose and/or perform controls to ensure the robustness of our reinsurance processes;
- Taking on management responsibilities as both you and the company develop;
- Working autonomously and pragmatically to make appropriate technical decisions.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduated from an Engineering or Business School;
- 5 to 10 years of experience in reinsurance and/or insurance.
- Rigorous, team spirit;
- Analytical and financial skills;
- Rigorous, creative and meticulous mind;
- Good communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- English professional.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to network and build relationships;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.