Compensation & Benefits (C&B) and Payroll Lead
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 14 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As part of our strong growth, we are looking for a Compensation & Benefits (C&B) and Payroll Lead to reinforce our HR Team. The C&B and Payroll Lead is expected to report to our Chief Operations Officer.
This role embraces several missions, among them :
Payroll Operations – France and Hubs
- Manage monthly payroll both in France and internationally (via HR partners);
- Ensure social taxes are properly calculated, controlled and paid in relation with Finance;
- Manage complex compensation set-ups in line with local laws and regulations (e.g. benefits in kind, leave subrogation);
- Track employee’s benefit allowance (e.g. transportation allowance, meal plan).
Compensation & Benefits implementation
- Manage all compensation & benefits including deferred compensation (e.g. profit sharing, employee savings schemes), fringe benefits (e.g. pension schemes, provident fund, health insurance) and benefits in kind (company car, phones, housing allowance, etc.);
- Identify compensation and benefits partners, negotiate contract terms and set-up partnerships;
- Own relationships with local accounting companies and other partners (lawyers, …);
- Manage benefits subscriptions for new joiners and leavers.
Reporting & Budgeting
- Enhance and maintain HR databases;
- Support and liaise with Finance ( Functional reporting line) on compensation related reporting, budgeting and controlling (e.g. pension provision, budget forecasts);
- Create appropriate reports and KPIs for internal and external parties (e.g. investors, government entities);
- Define and track financial impact of compensation and benefit changes.
Compensation & Benefits Strategy
- Support the COO in designing and implementing a company-wide compensation strategy;
- Support top management in defining annual bonus and wage increase schemes;
- Ensure that compensation practices are compliant with laws and regulations;
- Deploy effective communication strategies regarding employee compensation and benefits;
- Be the contact person for employees regarding compensation and benefits.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-7 years’ experience in compensation or as an HRBP with an appetite for numbers;
- Ideally working experience in a multicultural environment;
- An experience in the insurance industry is a plus.
- Fluency in French and English (written and verbal communication) is required;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good capacity to manage payroll, figures, compensation;
- Appetite for negotiation;
- Good analytical and Excel skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and execution focused;
- Autonomous and curious, you are able to work in a dynamic and multicultural environment;
- Excellent team player, your interpersonal and communication skills enable you to be a force of proposal and interact with both internal and external stakeholders.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING ?
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Participate in continuous training and development;
- Be part of an international team;
- Work in an environment which encourages innovations, new ideas and contributes to change the way insurance is done;
- Benefit from a flexible work from home policy.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.