ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Due to our consistent growth, we are seeking to expand our Data, Software and DevOps team. At the core of our company, your missions will focus on:
- Build interactive web applications;
- Testing and refactoring code already used in existing project;
- Introducing object oriented patterns in functional code;
- Develop, optimize, update and deploy software for:
- Portfolio management;
- Solutions for analyzing and visualizing risk models;
- Interactive forms and data visualization;
- Export of outputs adapted to users;
- Monitoring of contracts and associated data;
- Testing and validation of existing solutions.
- Maintain the software solution with:
- Version management;
- Contribute to the technical roadmap through architecture meetings;
- Technical Documentation (architecture design, detailed design, validation tests);
- Compliance to internal standards and best practices.
- Support, test and correct the tools of:
- Continuous integration and continuous development (CI/CD);
- Data storage;
- Modularization and containerization of IT solutions;
- Connection to external and internal API’s;
- Secured access to applications.
- Take the lead on:
- Choice of technical solutions;
- Technical discussions with IT partners;
- Improving the skills of technical staff;
- Analysis and evolution of new frameworks and technologies.
- To participate in:
- Assessment and definition of user needs;
- Conversion of technical specification into software development tasks;
- Bug tracking management;
- Software evolution management;
- Software risk management.
- OS: Linux
- Back: Python, Fast API
- Front: React JS
- Code versioning tool: Git + Gitlab
- Cloud provider: GCP
- OS: you decide
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Solid knowledge in Python, REST API (Fast API), document-oriented database (mongo DB), and React JS;
- Experience with Docker;
- Familiar with production development workflow (code reviews, fast forward git policy, pair coding);
- From 6 years of experience as a Fullstack or Software developer;
- Good knowledge in English and fluency in French.
- Desire to train junior developers and explain software design and good practices;
- Desire to keep learning from more experimented developers;
- Desire to suggest improvements in architecture or features;
- Ability to understand and break epic tasks into achievable issues.
- Experience working with GCP or equivalent cloud providers;
- Experience in a microservices architecture;
- Experience in Agile or TDD;
- Knowledge of Node JS;
- Contribution to an open source project.
- Strong interest with climate issue (it’s not a hoax, many people suffer from it)
- Being comfortable to work alongside corporate insurers (some still wear suits 👔)
- You enjoy CI/CD automation (or at least appreciate the elegance of a well-crafted pipeline)
- Willingness to help junior developers (remember how you were when you started 💬)
- Strong team spirit and ability to work (you’ll have to review code and have your code reviewed)
- Rigorous, creative and meticulous mind (we handle large insurance, we take our time)
- Strong desire to learn (there’s no limitation to the tech used, we’re happy to test and learn new tools)
- Eagerness to work in a multi-cultural environment (policies and teams are from all around the world 🗺️)
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Join a company with a true purpose – help us help our clients be more resilient towards climate risks;
- A competitive salary, bonus and benefits (Premium Alan health insurance, Swile restaurant vouchers, Navigo reimbursement etc.);
- The opportunity to grow in your role, as the company does;
- Commitment from Descartes to it’s staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Be part of a collaborative, diverse team where your ideas are heard;
- A paid referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- Frequent team events.
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.
HOW TO APPLY?
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly start-up atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application!
If you don’t check all the requirements in the description, don’t worry. We can try to make some room for you within the company if you’re motivated to work on climate risk.
- Step 1: Call and HR Interview with our Talent Recruiter
- Step 2: Technical project submitted via GitHub
- Step 3: Technical interview
- Step 4: Manager interview
- Step 5: Final round interview with the team
(Candidates can opt to have the manager interview before the technical project and interview)