ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (250+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 12 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As part of our strong growth, we are looking for a (non life) Underwriter to reinforce the Underwriting team.
The Underwriter is expected to report to the Underwriting Manager.
Your tasks will include :
- Contributing to the definition of the underwriting strategy of Descartes Insurance;
- Actively developing Descartes Insurance portfolio;
- Supporting the commercial team in the generation of prospects with our broker partners;
- Drafting insurance contracts in collaboration with the legal and commercial teams;
- Developing the pricing strategy;
- Contributing to the development of Descartes’ technological platform.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3/5 years of experience preferably in the insurance industry;
- Strong mathematical background;
- Ideally a previous experience in an underwriting or an actuarial role;
- Proficiency in Python.
- Rigorous, team spirit;
- Creative and meticulous mind;
- Good communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) required;
- Good command of one additional language (e.g. Chinese, French, Italian, German, Spanish…) valued.
- Interested in weather and natural perils modelling (cyclones, wildfires, hail, tsunamis, earthquakes etc);
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Motivated to help improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in France, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.