Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
🎨 Who Are We?
Convelio is a licensed freight forwarding startup evolving at the intersection of Tech, Logistics and the Art World. The startup specialises in the global shipping of high-end goods: paintings, sculptures, basically any valuable or bulky merchandise.
We've developed our own proprietary algorithm to offer competitive real-time shipping quotes and an end-to-end logistics service to the art market. Our mission is to become a tech-driven company in a traditional industry, and therefore make the shipping of bulky and valuable items as easy as possible by providing an online and seamless experience.
We currently serve a wide range of customers from art galleries, antique dealers, auction houses, online platforms to interior designers.
With 130+ colleagues scattered across Paris & London and now New York as well, Convelio has a strong start-up & international culture. We thrive in solving complex logistics issues for our clients, enabling both sellers and buyers in the art market. We are backed by proven technology, prominent VC’s, and boast a global network and the resources (€30 million Series B funding in March 2022) to seize the market opportunity
Look at our Career Page for more information about working with us! 💙
🚀 Why Tech & Product at Convelio is fundamental and exciting
Convelio is a technology-driven startup building logistics products to solve the complex shipping and storage requirements of the art industry. Logistics requires smart application of combinatorial optimisation techniques to find the optimal delivery routes, warehouse and resource utilisation. It also requires communication with lots of different suppliers along the way to come up with a proposed delivery plan, where often the communication needs to happen via email or phone. We are building the next generation of logistics systems that utilise generative AI (for automating email/phone communications) and use state of art combinatorial optimisation algorithms.
We are building products for:
- Art-sellers, with our Instant Quoting tool for their shipping - a significant improvement in a market where shipping is slow, complex and opaque. Also, our API allows art galleries, auction houses and other art sellers to display our shipping prices directly on their website - a way to bring transparency and speed into their processes.
- Art-shippers, to help our suppliers manage their operations easier thanks to data and process automation, gain in efficiency and save time on low added value tasks.
- Art-logisticians (us!), to automate most of the logistics chain, and provide an AI assisted copilot to help perform deliveries and provide support.
- Art-buyers and collectors, to help our buyers and collectors to be always in the know of where their shipments are, where they are stored and have the ability to see/modify/pay for their shipments transparently.
- Python, FastAPI
- PHP 8.1, Symfony → Currently but we are moving away from PHP in our new services and we will be extracting services out of our monolith using our new stack.
- Typescript, Angular
- GCP, Kafka, Postgres, MySQL, Terraform
- Github Actions for CI/CD
- Salesforce/Apex for order management
Our main engineering challenges :
- Building a new logistics engine and its supporting systems such as a supplier database, Prediction (ML based) systems.
- Moving to an event-driven, asynchronous service oriented architecture from a monolith.
- Automating our supplier and client communications via state of art generative AI technologies in a testable, reliable, secure, cost-effective way
👉 What your team will look like
Join the dynamic Product, Engineering, and Data team at Convelio, a tight-knit group of around 30 engineers, product managers, designers and analysts. We value and practice continuous iterations with high but sustainable velocity. We believe that by having a high velocity of delivery, we can learn and grow faster and can afford to take more risks. And by valuing sustainability of that velocity, we invest in high quality engineering practices so that we can continue to be faster.
Your team is empowered to connect with their customers weekly and have a deep understanding of their challenges. Unlike some other places, identifying what opportunities to tackle is not solely the responsibility of the product manager. It is a team sport. In other words, if your expectation is that there will be some well crafted, pixel perfected user stories where you can solely focus on coding, this is probably not the right place for you. You will together be crafting these opportunities and iterating on them through extensive quantitative and qualitative user testing in production behind feature flags.
🧑🔬 What you’ll do
Continuously discover & deliver outcomes
- Work together with your cross-discipline team members and discover opportunities and formulate solutions to iterate on.
- Identify ways to break solutions into small iteratable milestones and mini experiments, so that you can get as early feedback as possible from your users
- Work together with your team to identify measurable outcomes and ensure that you are working towards achieving those - it is not about shipping features but delivering outcomes.
Engineer well thought-out and maintainable solutions
- Evolve quick experiments that helps you figure out what to build into technical solutions to problems that takes into account engineering constraints and also long term maintainability.
- Know when to take a technical debt and have a plan to pay it back in the next iterations, keeping technical debt always in control to help achieve sustainable velocity.
- Create written artefacts (we use ADRs) about your design decisions and solicit feedback to ensure you have thought through all the relevant considerations and options.
- Have an end-to-end ownership mindset, where writing code is only part of the overall delivery which also includes putting it into production and maintaining afterwards.
Mentor your colleagues
- Be an active member of the senior engineering leadership team, propose solutions for engineering challenges of various forms and review the solutions proposed by your colleagues
- Take a very active role in mentoring more junior colleagues through thoughtful code and design reviews and help them grow in their careers
🎨 Your profile
- You have many years of experience working in high performing teams in the past and know how much fun it is
- You have a track record of shipping impactful software and you can easily cite the impact of your work in the past
- You believe languages and frameworks are tools to meet an end, each with their strong and weak points. You have worked with many of them in the past, have some deep experience with some and have good understanding of the common principles and patterns that enable high quality engineering.
- You are not worried about obstacles and accept them as a fact of life and you enjoy actively removing them both for yourself and for the members of your team
- You are very curious about technology and new developments but also use a critical thinking mindset to know when to adopt what
- You care deeply about the user problems as well as the business opportunities they may present. You care just as deeply as the product you are building as you are about the technology you are using to build it.
⚙️ Hiring Process
- Qualification call with Ilaria, our Talent Acquisition Manager
- Meet a member of the engineering leadership team (CTO or other)
- An engineering challenge to work at home. You will be pushing your solutions and getting PR reviews just like you would if you work for us.
- Meet two fellow engineers, discuss your challenge solution, extend it, and also discuss a follow up system design challenge when applicable
- Meet a member from the Product and UX discipline
Discover our company values
Convelio is set on bringing art logistics into the future - and this is impossible to do without thinking about climate change. Launched in June 2021, our sustainability program and commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 13 - to take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact is organized to promote positive environmental practices, and align our company with government targets formed on the basis of the Paris Agreement. Explore more on Climate Care.
Learn more about Convelio’s plans following our fundraising announcement from our founders in 2022.
Equal Employment Opportunity employer
Convelio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunities based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identify, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We carefully hire the best talent we can find, which means actively seeking diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and ways of thinking. We are passionate about building an inclusive culture where diversity is celebrated and leveraged to create better design and business decisions.