We are looking for a Haskell Engineer to join our multidisciplinary collaborative team of 10, to focus on driving the success and development of our market leading disruptive technology. As one of our Engineers, you’ll be focusing on contributing to and developing our product end-to-end.
Bringing your years of experience in software, and ideally product development, this role would be particularly of interest to you having come from a previous start up or scale up environment.
This role represents a unique opportunity to help shape Artificial’s future strategy.
We’re building technology for the next generation of insurers.
At Artificial, we're not just building software. We're reshaping the future of the insurance industry. Our mission is clear – to leverage the best of today's technology and automation, revolutionising how insurers and brokers operate. By removing the mundane and repetitive, we're paving the way for innovation, efficiency, and most importantly – human-centric solutions.
You’ll be working with talented people, using the latest technology in an environment where learning is supported. As an outcomes-focused business, taking ownership is not only expected but embraced, meaning the opportunity to create meaningful change is within your power.
We recently secured £9.5M in Series A funding from our investors Force Over Mass, Mundi Ventures, MS&AD Ventures as well as all existing shareholders, and are looking forward to the next stage of fundraising. Join us, and take the chance to be a part of something that will change the landscape of insurance for generations.
As part of our digitisation effort, we developed our own (non-embedded) DSL (in Haskell, of course) called Brossa (named after Joan Brossa), with which we can describe insurance products. This approach allows us to build insurance specifics into our programming language as first-class concepts to harmonise structured data capture, augmentation/enrichment, decision-making, lifecycle management and portfolio considerations into a single, executable specification. We have built an extensive ecosystem of tooling around our DSL, which is now used to underwrite commercial/specialty insurance contracts, in production, algorithmically!
As a member of the team, you will be contributing to our product end-to-end. You’ll be writing new features as well as maintaining and improving existing ones, alone or in partnership with other team members. You’ll also be actively contributing in our weekly design and architecture discussions. As the team grows, the role will also provide opportunity for senior engineers to mentor junior team members.
You can expect to be working across a range of technologies here at Artificial: Haskell, PostgreSQL, Nix, Terraform, Htmx, TypeScript, React, AWS, Buildkite.
- You are comfortable making and communicating technical decisions based on cost-benefit analysis
- You take passion in your craft and take ownership and pride towards the code you write, keeping it simple, robust, maintainable and evolvable
- You are keen on learning as well as sharing your knowledge
- You are proactive and organised (crucial in a distributed work environment)
We especially want to hear from you if you have
- Extensive commercial experience using Haskell or other typed FP language
- Experience in architecting complex systems that are robust, maintainable and evolvable
- Experience in insurtech, insurance or related industries
- £80,000 - £100,000 base salary (dependent on experience and location)
- Flexibility around work hours (you can propose a work pattern that works for you and we will accommodate as far as possible)
- Generous holiday allowance of 28 days plus national holidays (location dependent)
- Private Medical Health Insurance (location dependent)
- Access to private mental health services including therapists (location dependent)
- Company pension (statutory level provision) (location dependent)
- Home office and equipment allowance, and a high-end company Macbook
- Learning allowance and encouragement to attend conferences / take exams
- Milestone Birthday Bonus
- Team social events and company parties
- Pizza at every All Hands or allowance for lunch at home
- The best coffee machine in London, handmade in Italy and imported just for us!
- Remote working
Our engineering teams are remote-first, meaning you can work from home in the UK/EU most of the time. There will be occasions when you’ll be needed in London (for example, whole company meetings, social events and occasionally you may be needed onsite with clients). Although these will be compulsory, you would be given as much notice as possible of these dates so that you can plan accordingly.
We're an equal opportunities employer, with a strong commitment to hiring from the rich diversity within our local communities. If you’d like to request a reasonable adjustment to the hiring process, please do let us know at any time and feel free to let us know your preferred pronouns. In addition, if you feel you don’t tick all the boxes of requirements, please do apply anyway - Artificial recognises the value of raw talent.