Machine Learning Engineer
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our collaborative team of 4, to focus on building the most advanced and flexible machine learning enabled insurance platform to cater for insurers, brokers and underwriters of all sizes and sectors.
Bringing your years of commercial experience in machine learning techniques and principles as well as knowledge of data science techniques, this role would be particularly of interest to you having come from a previous start up or scale up environment.
We’re building technology for the next generation of insurers.
At Artificial, we're not just building software. We're reshaping the future of the insurance industry. Our mission is clear – to leverage the best of today's technology and automation, revolutionising how insurers and brokers operate. By removing the mundane and repetitive, we're paving the way for innovation, efficiency, and most importantly – human-centric solutions.
You’ll be working with talented people, using the latest technology in an environment where learning is supported. As an outcomes-focused business, taking ownership is not only expected but embraced, meaning the opportunity to create meaningful change is within your power.
We recently secured £9.5M in Series A funding from our investors Force Over Mass, Mundi Ventures, MS&AD Ventures as well as all existing shareholders, and are looking forward to the next stage of fundraising. Join us, and take the chance to be a part of something that will change the landscape of insurance for generations.
Your key responsibilities will be the ideation, coding and deployment of data science models at scale, using the latest technologies and an AWS cloud environment.
In this role you will:
- Partner with data scientists to understand, implement, refine and design machine learning code and other algorithms
- Work with data scientists to build pipelines to train and deploy models into
- Work with core development teams to integrate deployed models into main products
- Work cross functionally with product managers, designers, data scientists and product engineers, and communicate progress and results to peers and leaders
- Explore new technology shifts in order to determine how they might connect with the customer benefits we wish to deliver (e.g. GenAI)
- 5-10 years of commercial experience
- BS, MS, or PhD degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to write production-ready code at scale in Python
- Experienced with cloud technologies and deployment. (AWS preferred)
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques and principles
- Computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, performance complexity, and implications of computer architecture on software performance (e.g., I/O and memory tuning)
- Software engineering fundamentals: version control systems and workflows, CI/CD pipelines
We especially want to hear from you if you have:
- Interest in reading academic papers and trying to implement state-of-the-art solutions
- Experience or interest in working with LLMs and relevant libraries (e.g. Langchain) to solve new challenges
- Product development skills with an emphasis on user experience
- Experience in insurtech, insurance or related industries
- Desire to work in a challenging and disruptive environment
- Relevant personal projects to demonstrate
- Competitive base salary
- Hybrid working with a minimum of 3 days per week at our calm London HQ in the City.
- Flexibility around work hours (you can propose a work pattern that works for you and we will accommodate as far as possible)
- Generous holiday allowance of 28 days plus national holidays
- Private Medical Health Insurance
- Access to private mental health services including therapists
- Company pension (statutory level provision)
- Home office and equipment allowance, and a company Macbook
- Learning allowance and encouragement to attend conferences / take exams
- Milestone Birthday Bonus
- Team social events and company parties
- Pizza at every All Hands or allowance for lunch at home
- The best coffee machine in London, handmade in Italy and imported just for us!
We're an equal opportunities employer, with a strong commitment to hiring from the rich diversity within our local communities. If you’d like to request a reasonable adjustment to the hiring process, please do let us know at any time and feel free to let us know your preferred pronouns. In addition, if you feel you don’t tick all the boxes of requirements, please do apply anyway - Artificial recognises the value of raw talent.